Are you moving to Hong Kong? Perhaps you are just from a nearby country, wanting to do away from the familiar landscape, and move somewhere unfamiliar. Yes, Hong Kong houses a lot of expats that share similar cultures and experience, who help each other adjust to the lifestyle in Hong Kong as they first come in.
With the right qualifications, you can earn a living just by teaching English to early-aged children to up-and-coming business men wanting to learn the common language because of increasing globalization.
Financial worries, such as where to store your money, is a worry that most expats have since they are just newly adjusting. Understandably, we don’t want to deal with the hassles of applying for a new credit card, especially somewhere you are not familiar with.
Taking advantage of offers credit card companies should be in your consideration so as to make your life easier, as well as getting bonuses from choosing your particular interest of what you want in a credit card.
That is why we have provided a list of credit cards for specific purposes in the table below.
|Credit Card||Best For|
|ICBC Xplore Visa Signature Card||Pet lovers|
|CitiBank American Express Card||Cashback|
|CitiBank Premier Miles Credit Card||Travelers|
|Public Bank Hong Kong Credit Card||Overseas Spending|
|Standard Chartered WorldMiles||Asia Miles|
|CCB Eye Credit Card||Online Spending|
Best for: Pet lovers
Who doesn’t want their furry friends live the luxury as we do? ICBX Xplore gives you an opportunity to pet-related services like grooming, entertainment, discounts to pet products.
Their welcome offer is a free pet travel consultation service with the option of either:
- A Pet Tracking Service Plan or,
- HK$200 Free Credit Card Spending Limit
- Buy 1 Get 1 Dog/Cat Food (While stock lasts)
- 10% off regular-priced products; 15% off upon spending of HK$500 on regular-priced products
- 5% off of your HK$200 purchase on any pet main/ can foods
- 2 for 1 Movie tickets for any purchase of HK$800 or above (Promo extended till 30 April 2017)
- Pacific Coffee Buy 1 Get 1 upon purchase of tall-size or above beverage (Until 30 April 2017)
Best for: Cashback
AmEx provides just what you want, cash back on your transactions.
- 2 % cash rebate on dining purchases
- 1 % cash rebate on any other purchases
- Waived first year annual fee
- No registration required – straight to your credit account
- Global Assist – Assistance Hotline
Best for: Travelers
The best card for those who love to travel, rewards you for travelling and gives complementary benefits for doing so.
For applying right now, you have to gifts to choose from:
- 216,000 points redeemable for 2 sets of round trip ticket to Taipei
- American Tourister Bon Air (Retail Price of HK$1,659)
- Annual Fee Waiver for spending HK$100,000 every year
- Free travel insurance
- Complimentary access to Hong Kong International Airport Plaza Premium (four times a year)
- Asia miles on any transaction, both overseas and local
Best for: Overseas spending
The Public Bank Hong Kong Credit Card works best for people who travel a lot, and worry about their currency exchange transfer fees. As a welcome gift, you get HK$300 free spending credit.
- Permanent annual fee waiver
- Overseas spending bank charge waiver
- Cash rebate up to 0.6%
- Octopus Automatic Add-Value Service (for when your Octopus card has insufficient value)
- 24-hour Global Assist Service
- Free net banking service
Best for: Asia Miles
Those who want to rack up their Asia Miles would want to use this card, as it earns you the most points for the minimum amount of spending you need!
- HK$4 = 1 Mile (15 Points) for overseas spending
- HK$6 = 1 Mile (15 Points) for local spending
- Handling fee refund for mileage redemption
- Exclusive offers from Amex SELECTS
Best for: Online spending
No doubt, they are straight to the point in that they are targeting individuals who love shopping online by providing bonus points with every transaction.
- No annual fee
- 5X Bonus Points Reward Program
- 5X Bonus Points by using Visa payWave
Conclusion: The Right Credit Card Can Benefit You
Living in another country is hard, so having a credit card that gives you the benefits that will help you get accustomed to the lifestyle you are used to in a different place will make things easier for you. The last thing you need to worry about is getting swindled out of your money!
What are your thoughts on the list above? Let us know in the comments below.